It occurs to me that one of the key ways to make this blog successful is to offer you, the reader, the kind of things you want. Imagine that. Writing for an audience!
Of course, this will require market research and to that end I must ask the question: what do you want from me? Or, more specifically, what sort of topics would you like to read about on this blog?
When I started this blog, almost a month ago now, it was with the intention of sharing a number of things: news about authors and writing, the occasional book review, a weekly author or publishing pro interview, and random ramblings of my own works-in-progress. I hope I have thus far been sticking within these parameters but I more so hope that these have been of interest to you. I also want to expand on what I am able to offer through this blog and ensure you keep coming back for more.
Full disclosure? Right now, this blog is averaging about 50 readers a day. That’s not too shabby for a new blog, since I’ve only been at it a few weeks now. I don’t know how that ranks by comparison to other blogs. It really only matters to me that someone, you, are reading this and finding something useful in it. I have noticed that while you don’t always leave comments, I do occasionally get an email with feedback and my stats tracker also tells me the average person sticks around for just under seven minutes. I’m happy with this, but I want to give you more reasons to come back and reasons to post your comments.
So, dear reader, how can I make this blog better for you? What writing related topics would you like to see more of? Do you enjoy the weekly author Q&A? Is there a way to make these spotlights even better? Do you like the industry news, links to other articles and interesting blogs? Would you like to hear more about my own writing journey and process?
I’ll tell you what I’m working on for future posts, but I’d love to hear your thoughts about additional ideas for making this blog interesting and entertaining, and maybe a bit more interactive:
- I’m continuing to schedule a weekly Q&A with authors (emerging and established) who will share news of their latest releases or works-in-progress and tell us about their path to publication
- I’m working on adding Q&As with agents, editors, publicists and other publishing pros so we can learn more with a view from the ‘inside’
- Over time I will sprinkle in my own thoughts on the writing process, path to publication, personal challenges with writing, and other relatable anecdotes
- Tips on how to make better connections with other writers and readers (and pub people) through social media sites such as twitter, facebook, and writing groups
- Highlights of interesting organizations, festivals, conferences, and community groups where you can gain something for your writer’s toolbox
- Book reviews for what I’m reading as well as hot new titles and relevant books for writers
While we’re at it, for the ambitious reader, feel free to tell me how I can improve my quarterly newsletter. It’s important to me that you look forward to reading the news and events I share with you, so don’t hesitate to make your suggestion.
Topic: an intro to literary agents.
Until next time, happy reading!