Friday, November 27, 2009

I’m thankful for…

For as long as I can remember, I have always tuned in to the televised Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. So, of course, this year I was anxious and eager to have the celebratory floats in the background while I worked away. This year the celebration meant something different for me; this is my first American Thanksgiving as a resident. I still honor the Canadian date, but it’s nice to have two thankful days to celebrate. Which makes it very interesting… odd… quirky… that I. Somehow. Completely. Forgot.

No, I didn’t forget Thanksgiving. I forgot to watch the parade.

When I woke up Thursday morning I got straight to work. I proceeded to work the majority of the day (aka: all day, but I hate to sound like a nerd) and it wasn’t until Dear Spouse asked about watching the parade that I realized… I forgot. I was so busy and involved with catching up on work that I actually forgot about the whole parade thing.

Of course, in the big scheme of things, this is no big deal. But, it leads me to the topic of what I’m thankful for. As a writer, I want to kick myself every time I complain about being too busy. The fact is, I should be – and am – very grateful for the amount of work I have. If I had no writing work, that would be sad. Right now, my writing life is full and wonderful and consuming and I can’t think of anything to be more thankful for. I’m working, I’m writing, I’m happy.

So, despite missing my ‘first’ parade, I can still walk away from this year’s Thanksgiving knowing I celebrated in my own poetic way. Yes, I made an overwhelming dinner and, yes, we enjoyed the evening. But the day was spent honoring the work that makes me happy.

For this, I am truly thankful.

No comments :

Post a Comment