Monday, January 4, 2010

planning for AWP

It may be months away, but it’s not too early to start planning for this year’s AWP conference. April will be here before we know it and there are so many great offerings this year, I’ve already started to map out what sessions I’ll be attending, which book fair booths I’ll be frequenting, and even who I’ll be having coffee with on some days. The annual conference is such a whirlwind event, I figure it’s smart to get a head start and carve out my wish list for productivity.

If you’re planning on attending, be sure to visit the AWP website for ongoing updates to the main schedule, as well as to the schedule of off-site events. The list of exhibitors continues to have add-ons as well, so be sure to check in with the site more than once to stay up to date with new information.

If you have never attended the AWP conference, I have to say this is one of the most affordable gatherings of writers, publishers, and reps from educational institutions. The value you get for your dollar is well worth it for making connections, meeting writing friends from across the country, and taking advantage of an assortment of craft discussions.

There are also some wonderful author readings you won’t want to miss. This year’s featured presenters include Bonnie Jo Campbell, Rita Dove, Patricia Smith, and many more. Have a look at this link to preview some of the readings featured this year.

Be sure to register in advance, book your flight to Denver, and let me know if you’ll be attending. I have a scheduled booksigning and some other off-site events in the works, and I’d love the opportunity to say hello to some of the blog readers.

What better way to welcome 2010 than by treating yourself to an incredible conference?

No comments :

Post a Comment