Saturday, January 18, 2014

on the road, again



January is a busy month! I’ve been on the road most of the month and continue to be until that very last week. I’m living in and out of suitcases.

Part of my earlier travels included visiting the students of Arcadia University’s low-residency MFA program. I chatted about social media and websites, the art of book reviewing, and the ever-important business chat about contracts, agents, and taxes. apart from a few travel-related glitches, it was a great time and I’m honored to have met some truly engaged and eager students pursuing their dreams.

Me at the Maslow Reading Series

The bulk of January, thus far, was spent at the Wilkes University low-residency MFA program. Here, I worked with faculty and students on their social media and website development and presented a plenary session on using social media as part of one’s overall platform development. I was also honored to be included in the Maslow Reading Series. I read poems from my new book, Square Feet, including this little poem about baggage, which I thought was fitting, considering my month of travels: 


I’m now enjoying some time in Toronto, Ontario, as part of the University of King’s College (Halifax) creative nonfiction MFA program. I’m one of the CNF mentors in the program and this winter we’re spending quality time in Toronto meeting with nonfiction editors from Penguin Random House and Simon & Schuster, touring the Kobo offices, and much more in this publishing epicenter.

Later this week, I’ll also be a guest for the Toronto Wordsmiths writing group. I look forward to meeting a great group of young and emerging writers and sharing their enthusiasm for this creative life.

So, packing and unpacking. On the road and off. It’s a busy month and I’m so excited to be a part of all this literary action, across the country and beyond borders. Stay tuned for more news, travels, and reports from the road.

Write on.

No comments :

Post a Comment