Friday, October 2, 2009

upcoming conferences, readings, winners

This week I’m presenting at two pretty cool conferences; on Friday (today) I’ll be at the Michigan College English Association conference at Eastern Michigan University, presenting on “writers in times of crises” and on Saturday I’ll be at Rochester Writers’ Conference with a presentation on how writers can use social media to promote and market their work.

I’m happy to share news of another upcoming poetry event, this one in London, Ontario. On Monday October 26th, I’ll be reading with Penn Kemp, Andreas Gripp, and John b. Lee at Mykonos, 7:30pm. Each of the poets has a new book or spoken word CD to launch, so it’s going to be a great event filled with readings of new works. If you need directions or more info, be sure to send me an email.

Speaking of poetry, here’s a reminder: The deadline for the Marick Press poetry prize is approaching fast; poets have until October 15th to submit. Poetry manuscripts between 48-80 pages will be read by Marick editors and guest judge Alicia Ostriker. The winning manuscript will be published by Marick Press and receive a $1,000 prize. Not bad. The winner will be announced March 15th, 2010.

Also, if it’s been a while since you’ve visited shewrites.com, you’ll be amazed at how much this site has grown since I first talked about it this summer. The “Poetry Social” group has more than 130 members now, connecting emerging writers with multi-published authors. If you write, even a little, this is one great resource you’ll want to take advantage of in connecting with others and promoting your work.

Next week I have an author Q&A scheduled for Wednesday! Join me as I interview romantic suspense author Cindy Gerard. She has a new book out that’s terrifically thrilling.

Today’s post is shorter than I intended, with the weekend conferences keeping my attention. However, I plan on posting some great writing resource links this weekend, so stay tuned.

And before I sign off today, I have to offer congrats to blog reader Mary Roy who won a signed copy of stains this past Wednesday. Congrats, Mary! Remember, I’m giving away another signed book this month, randomly drawn from the list of blog followers. Is your name in there?

Until next time… happy reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment