Monday, September 7, 2009

books, books & more books

There’s no other way for me to begin this blog today than by bragging about one of the coolest reviews I have received yet. At Gender Across Borders, writer Elizabeth Kate Switaj shared her wonderfully close reading and review of my latest release, stains: early poems. It was posted over the weekend and I had a hard time waiting until today to share it with you. Please do read the review Elizabeth wrote. You’ll find it here.

I also wanted to let all the poets out there know about the Marick Press Poetry Prize. The postmark deadline is October 15th, so there’s still a little time to polish up your book-length manuscript and send it in to be judged by poet Alicia Ostriker. This is the first annual prize, with a $1,000 cash award and publication by Marick Press. Manuscripts must be between 48 and 80 pages in length and full submission details may be found here.

I’d also like to offer a HUGE congrats to Kiersten White who recently sold her novel, Paranormalcy (and two sequels!) to Erica Sussman at HarperTeen. I couldn’t be happier for Kiersten. See, it just goes to show that it pays to contribute to this blog. Ha. I’m only kidding. But a big thanks to Kiersten, again, for contributing to the blog in August and I wish her the best of success with her future releases!

And, while I haven’t quite finished reading it yet, I have to highly recomnend this novel. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a delightful read with charming character. As it begins in 1946, the war acts as a backdrop, a character in its own right, but it’s the full-of-life characters and three-dimensional stories told exclusively through letters that has me gripping the pages every night. I’d heard many a good thing about this novel but I am more delighted than I could have imagined. It’s a fast read because I have a hard time putting it down. The style is easy, the voice is practically friendly, and the characters… what a bunch. Moving, entertaining, and thought-provoking, I must recommend it to you.

Speaking of great reads… On Wednesday I’ll be sharing an interview I did with Jennie Nash, author of The Only True Genius in the Family. Please do visit Jennie’s website and join in on this week’s discussion.

Remember, in celebration of Labor Day I am offering up a steal of a deal. You can direct order stains: early poems from me, through email, for a mere ten bucks which includes a personally signed copy and postage to your door.

Wishing you a very pleasant long weekend….

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for all the links. How I wish I had something/enough to submit to that poetry comp...maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete