Monday, June 22, 2009

white hot covers

I’m happy to report it’s been a productive week. I’m knee-deep in editing stains, my upcoming poetry release (more details below), and working on two works-in-progress of the suspenseful kind. Despite relegating to a cave for writing tasks, I had the pleasure of attending two incredible poetry readings last week. One was Poets Follies, hosted by Marick Press at the Grosse Pointe Library. It was fantastic and eclectic, with poetics about everything from tumors to reincarnation, from remote islands to French translations. The other event was at Lawrence Street Gallery in Ferndale MI and I had the pleasure of sharing a few poems with the audience, while John Jeffire rocked the house. Again.

Recently, I read a motivating article in the June issue of The Writer. Author and writing instructor Richard Goodman writes about his experience in finding his path to writing. Richard’s article really touched me, as he spoke of the pressure writers put on themselves to publish at a young age. I’ve often felt like there has to be a certain level of publishing achievement relevant to my age, but it’s a voice I have also learned to hush. Age is but a number. It’s common for a writer to feel that they have to get their books out there when they’re young, that it’s a ‘young’ industry, and Richard exemplifies why this is not the case. He didn’t write his first book until the age of 46, though the art of storytelling was always within him. His time came to write and publish French Dirt and since then, he has been living an inspiring, fruitful, and literary life. He is an inspiration to all writers, no matter what age, and is living proof that age is nothing but a number. If you have a chance to pick up a copy of The Writer’s June issue, do so. The article is a great piece of inspiration for emerging (and established) authors and I urge you to visit his website to read more of Richard’s work. He’s also published a book on creative writing called The Soul of Creative Writing that Molly Peacock has said “…will instruct, delight, edify, challenge, reassure, and guide any student of writing to a personal best." Visit Richard Goodman's website for more info on this delightful author.

In other book news, I was reading the Sunday Book Review of The New York Times and came across a review I missed earlier. In her review of A Short History of Women, a new novel by Kate Walbert, writer Leah Hager Cohen says, “… each chapter is like a slice of exquisite cake.” This collection of short stories calls upon historic women and moments in time and promises to be an engaging and moving read.

I was also hanging out at IndieBound.org and noticed this eye-catching cover. It’s Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life By David Foster Wallace and is from a 2005 speech he gave at Kenyon College. Now, the cover alone makes me want to get this but I am ever so curious as to reading words of wisdom and reflection on life from this author.

And since we seem to be appreciating book covers with white covers for some reason, I’d love to hear feedback on this cover. stains: early poems by Lori A. May (that’s me) will be released this autumn. What are your thoughts on the cover? Do you love it, hate it, shrug indifference? You can get a better look here, on my website. stains has been in the making for years now, and hence is an “early collection.” It was originally scheduled to be released about five years ago, but fate called for a later date. At any rate, I am looking forward to launching it and will keep you posted on the exact release date, public readings and launch party as the time approaches.

Okay, I have to mention one more white hot cover (or three). Laura Caldwell, a Chicago-based writer whose career is soaring, has just released Red Hot Lies as part of this amazing series with equally amazing covers. Seriously, aren’t these covers killer? No pub intended.



Years ago, when I was doing a lot of freelance reviews and interviews, I interviewed Laura (I think in 2002?) for her book Burning The Map. Since her humble beginnings she has written several bestsellers and I just love her voice. She has such great pacing and characterization too. I can’t wait to pick these up and offer my reviews. By the way, Laura blogs at The Outfit Collective but be sure to also check out her website for upcoming events, releases, and general info.

In the not-so-distant future I’ll be sending out my next newsletter packed with news, contests, and more. If you haven’t yet subscribed, sign up today for the irregular e-blast and view the most recent newsletter here.

Happy reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment